A difficult choice faced me: what recipe do I feature first? Surprisingly a harder decision than it should’ve been. The first recipe is a milestone—a trendsetter. It sets the tone for future recipes and establishes my cooking philosophy. Do I make something that showcases my foodie prowess? Or my natural disaster tendencies? Oddly opposites but both true.
In the end, I chose one of my favorite desserts: Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Filling. I’ve been greedily munching on these since I was a child. They hit all the right buttons – moist chocolate cupcakes melded with tangy cream cheese and chocolate chips. Delicious.
And even better, they’re simple to make. This recipe uses the convenience of your favorite boxed cake mix. I know some of you may think it’s cheating to use a cake mix, but if it was good enough for my mom than it’s good enough for me.
This recipe perfectly illustrates my cooking philosophy. Food is more then required nourishment. It creates unforgettable memories and traditions. At least it does for me.
P.S. In case you’re wondering these were chosen as a tribute to my mom who taught me how to cook and also represent my natural disaster tendencies. I won’t speak about the 3 boxes of chocolate cake mix I went through to make these for this post. 🙂
Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Filling
An Eat Laugh Purr original recipe
- Chocolate Cake Mix
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 heaping cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan with liners.
- Mix chocolate cake according to instructions on the box.
- In a separate bowl, mix cream cheese, egg, sugar and salt.
- Stir chocolate chips into cream cheese mixture.
- Fill each cupcake liner halfway with chocolate cake mix.
- Top with a heaping teaspoon of cream cheese mixture.
- Bake according to box directions for cupcakes.
- Let cool and top with your favorite chocolate frosting.
- 3/4 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3 Tbsps butter, melted
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- Melt chocolate chips in microwave.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Add in 1 cup confectioners sugar and 1/4 cup evaporated milk<./li>
- Mix until the right consistency for piping. [Note: I added an additional 1/2 cup of confectioners sugar].
Makes 24 cupcakes