I‘m a little candied out. I had originally planned to feature yummy candy recipes until Christmas, but my sweet tooth requested a time out. It needed a break; otherwise come Christmas, I’ll be looking mournfully at all the delicious holiday treats and rubbing an upset stomach. Not on my watch, baby!
So I picked a recipe that works for the holidays and year-round. Some of you may have overnight guests during the holidays and need something delicious but simple to make for breakfast. I have the perfect solution for you. This coffee cake takes just a few minutes to prepare and tastes so good.
Sometimes coffee cakes can be a bit dry but not this one. It’s tender and flavorful and smells heavenly while it’s baking. You can round out your breakfast buffet with scrambled eggs and bacon. Or a variety of yogurts and seasonal fruit will do the trick too.
Sour Cream Coffee Cake
Recipe source: Gimme Some Oven
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9X13 baking pan.
- Cream together butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add in the vanilla and sour cream, mix gently until just combined.
- In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Add the butter mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix carefully until just combined.
- Mix together topping ingredients in a separate bowl: cinnamon, sugar and brown sugar.
- Pour half the batter into your baking dish. Top with half the topping mixture. Repeat.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- You can add 1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans to your topping mixture.
- The batter is quite thick. Ali recommends when you add the second layer of batter to do it in small spoonfuls to make it easier to spread out. I can attest that doing so makes it a lot easier. 😀