My love for mashed potatoes is legendary in my family. Both of my grandmas always told me they made plenty of mashed potatoes at holiday meals because they knew how much I loved them. And how many helpings I could pack away. I may have been the kid who got sick eating one piece of candy, but I could devour several helpings of potatoes with no problems.
My deluxe mashed potatoes are creamy, delicious and oh so fattening. Sure, you can eliminate some of the fat, but darn it…why? I don’t eat them every day, so when I do – I consider them to be an indulgent treat!
Because I’m feeling extra generous, I’m including two additional recipes today in case you need a little variety in your mashed potatoes. Imagine creamy mashed potatoes mixed with fontina cheese and caramelized onions or creamy mashed potatoes combined with spicy jalapenos and mexican cheese. Perfection.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons located under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire article or the recipe only.
DELUXE MASHED POTATOES
Original EatLaughPurr Recipe
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tbsps butter
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Peel potatoes and put in medium pan. Cover with cold water.
- Bring water to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes then put back in original pan.
- Add milk, sour cream, cream cheese and butter and mash until fluffy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- These reheat beautifully. I frequently make them in advance when entertaining. Just add a little extra milk and butter when reheating them.
MASHED POTATOES WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 1 batch of deluxe mashed potatoes
- 1 cup fontina cheese, shredded
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1-2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat olive oil and butter over low to medium heat.
- Add onion slices and stir onions occasionally, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add balsamic vinegar after onions have begun to brown.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add fontina cheese and caramelized onions to mashed potatoes and stir.
JALAPENO POPPER MASHED POTATOES
- 1 batch deluxe mashed potatoes
- 1 can (12oz) pickled jalapenos, diced
- 1 cup mexican cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 8×8 baking dish.
- Add jalapenos and mexican cheese to deluxe mashed potatoes.
- Pour potato mixture into baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix together panko crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Spread crumb topping over the mashed potatoes.
- Spray generously with PAM or dot with 1 Tbsp of butter.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until topping is brown.