Mo loved food. Cat food. Human food. He wasn’t particular. Now Emeril will only eat cat food, specifically kibble. So Mo was a bit of a challenge for me as I never worried about Emeril stealing food off my plate. Mo would help himself to whatever he found.
One day I planned to make Parmesan Shortbread and set out some butter to soften. Meanwhile I decided to see what would happen when Emeril and Mo were in the bedroom together. Emeril and I were snuggling in bed when I realized Mo had disappeared.
I leapt out of bed and met Mo in the hallway, licking his lips. I dashed out to the kitchen and found Mo had taken a little nibble of butter, wrapper and all. And as I proceeded to chastise Mo, he jumped onto the counter and settled into the sink. He was my special boy.
In his honor, I’m making savory shortbread. They are essentially crackers and incredibly addictive. I hope you enjoy them.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire post or the recipe only.
Cheddar Scottish Shortbread
Recipe from Cherry Tea Cakes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 8 ounces extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Cream together butter, salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Add flour and mix on low until smooth.
- Stir in cheddar cheese.
- Shape dough into a disk and wrap and plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat overn to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thick round on a lightly floured surface. Cut out rounds and place on baking sheets.
- Bake 11-13 minutes until lightly golden. Cool on sheets.
Makes approximately 24 crackers/cookies.