The other day I was looking over my recipe index when I realized the entree selections are a bit lacking. You can find plenty of desserts, which, in all honesty, is a tad deceiving. I rarely eat dessert. I favor savory over sweet. Some find comfort with a bowl of ice cream; I find comfort in a bowl of mashed potatoes.
Not only do they make me feel all warm and gooey inside, they also make me feel slightly superior. Sure, there is calcium in ice cream, which a person certainly needs, but potatoes fall into the vegetable category, obviously a far more nutritious choice.
I am full of crap.
You’ve seen my deluxe mashed potatoes recipe, right? And hopefully you’ve made it too. Cuz it’s good. Real good. And fattening. And you know what goes great with it? Chicken with Mushroom Sauce. Moist chicken topped with a tangy cheesy sauce full of yummy mushrooms. This recipe whips up quickly, making it a great choice for a busy weeknight.
CHICKEN WITH MUSHROOM SAUCE
Adapted from Baked Bree
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 minced shallot
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 container of Laughing Cow (Garlic &Herb) Cheese
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. Salt and pepper chicken breasts. Sear on both sides.
- Remove chicken and place into a preheated 400 degree oven. Bake 10-15 minutes until almost heated through. Remove from oven and cover with aluminum foil. Let sit another 10 minutes to complete baking.
- Add butter and mushrooms to pan and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add shallots and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Pour in white wine and scrape bottom of pan to get all the yummy bits. Simmer until wine is reduced by half.
- Add in cheese and stir until melted then add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Add more until it reaches the consistency you want.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with chopped parsley. Serve over slices of chicken breasts and deluxe mashed potatoes.
- If you prefer to not use wine – just replace it with more chicken broth.