I’m a big fan of the classics. I enjoy trying something new but there is something particularly rewarding about mastering a classic dish. One of my all-time favorites is a piping hot bowl of creamy tomato soup with an ooey gooey grilled cheese sandwich.
I have no problem opening up a can of soup or slapping a slice of velveeta on white bread but I figure I can do better. This soup was inspired by a glorious, delicious and amazing spaghetti sauce that I felt would also make a great base for tomato soup. And I was right! Give it a try the next time you’re craving a little comfort.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire article or the recipe only.
TOMATO BASIL SOUP
Inspired by Marcela Hazan’s Essentials of Italian Cooking
- 2 (28 oz) cans whole peeled tomatoes in juice (San Marzano, if possible)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled, halved through root end
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a large pan. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
- Remove and discard onions.
- Blend soup and basil with an immersion blender or regular blender.
- Pour back into pan and add heavy cream. Bring to a simmer over low heat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.