I’m celebrating Spring with a bounty of asparagus recipes this week. When I find those bright, green stalks at the grocery store, it’s a happy sign that that we survived Winter and made it to Spring. Woo-Hoo!
One of my favorite asparagus dishes is soup. My mom always makes an excellent cream of asparagus soup whenever I come home. I tried a few different recipes but none measured up. Finally, it dawned on me what I needed to do—ask my mom for the recipe. Doh.
When she gave me her recipe, I expected to see cream in it. And there was cream—cream cheese. So I think that’s what makes her version a bit different from more traditional recipes. It’s probably why I could never find one I liked too.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons located under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire article or the recipe only.
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS SOUP
Recipe from My Mom
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup of sliced fresh mushrooms (or 4 oz can of mushrooms)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 cups asparagus pieces
- 3 oz cream chhese
- 2 Tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Saute onion and mushrooms for 5 minutes. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
- Add in chicken broth, crushed red pepper and asparagus pieces.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes until asparagus is tender.
- Place 1/2 of the soup into a blender with cream cheese, sour cream and dill. Process until smooth.
- Return to pan and heat through Salt and pepper to taste.