I had a craving for something sweet, but I wasn’t sure what I wanted to make. Cookies? Cake? Cupcakes? Nope. None of those caught my fancy.
Then I saw this pound cake and fell promptly in love. And best of all – it was easy to make. I’m not overly fond of baking, so I like it when I can bake something that doesn’t take a ton of effort and still tastes great.
This makes a moist and dense cake that I topped with whipped cream and fresh berries. You could also make a lemon glaze as an alternative topping.
LEMON RICOTTA POUND CAKE
Adapted from Food Gal
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 kosher teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 lemons, zested
- 2 cups mixed berries, fresh
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×3 loaf pan with butter.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Mix together butter, ricotta cheese, and sugar until fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each one.
- Add the vanilla and lemon zest and mix until combined.
- Mix in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To serve, slice the pound cake and top with whipped cream and berries.