This was my all-time favorite dessert growing up. My mom didn’t make it often. It was a special dessert, which was probably why it was so highly coveted by me. It also might have been the Oreo crust. Or the homemade chocolate topping. Either way—it was a real treat.
It’s not a difficult dessert to make, but it’s not one you can whip together and serve immediately. And it’s really, really important to follow the directions. When it says stir constantly, you should stir constantly. I didn’t and let’s just say I made a big, big mess. One I frantically tried to clean before my mom saw the mess I made to her kitchen. Oops.
Other lessons I’ve learned is that if you make this absolutely delectable dessert to share with others—you must make sure proper plates and silverware are available. Otherwise they might not be able to do much more then admire it. Paper plates and plastic silverware don’t work.
If your family or guests don’t like peanuts or are allergic—eliminate them and save a few Oreos to crumble on top. Otherwise this is a kid and adult approved recipe. Enjoy!
TO PRINT THE RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire article or the recipe only.
ICE CREAM DESSERT
Recipe from my mom
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 12 oz. evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream, softened slightly
- 1 lb Oreo cookies
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups roasted peanuts
- In a heavy saucepan, mix powdered sugar, evaporated milk, 1/2 cup butter, and chocolate chips together over medium heat.
- Boil for six minutes, STIR CONTINUOUSLY.
- Remove heat, stir in vanilla and let it cool completely
- Crush Oreos in a food processor. Stir in melted butter. Lightly spray a 9×13 pan with nonstick spray. Pat cookie mixture on the bottom of the pan. Refrigerate 30 minutes to set.
- Spread softened ice cream over cookie crust. Freeze for at least two hours.
- Spread peanuts over ice cream. Pour chocolate sauce over peanuts.
- Store in freezer until serving. Set out a few minutes before cutting for easier cutting.