I grew up eating rhubarb desserts – bars, cobblers, crisps – pretty much any dessert that used rhubarb. This happens to be my favorite one. It’s a great combination of sweet and sour.
Growing up, we always had dessert. Today, dessert is a treat, rather than standard part of my meal. Since I prefer savory over sweet, I made a lot of meals growing up while my mom made the majority of desserts, although I always helped.
For this dessert, my mom would chop the rhubarb while I made the crust and filling. At the time, I thought she was giving me the “easier” jobs. Now, I think she just didn’t want me handling the knife. My family has this irrational fear of me handling knives and mixers.
Sure, I’m a klutz. I once walked into a tree and the occasional door. But I’ve never actually had any kitchen accidents with knives or mixers. So I stand by my irrational assessment of their fear. Of course, now days I have to do all the work by myself. And it was better when my mom did the chopping. 😀
The crust on these bars is the same one on my mom’s yummy fruit pizza. The great buttery crust, which I absolutely adore, is topped with a sweet filling with just the perfect amount of tang from the rhubarb. We like to eat this warm with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire post or the recipe only.
Rhubarb Dream Dessert
Recipe from my mom<
- 1 cup flour
- 5 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups rhubarb, finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 7 ½ by 11 ½ pan with non-stick spray.
- For Crust: Mix together flour, powdered sugar and butter. It will be quite buttery. Evenly spread in pan and bake 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- For Filling: Combine beaten eggs, sugar, flour and salt together. Stir in chopped rhubarb. Pour over baked crust and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Remove for oven and let cool slightly.
- Best served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.