I love, love tomatoes. Nothing beats a fresh garden tomato. I look forward all year to tomato season. Seriously, I could eat them like candy and sometimes do.
When I lived in Minneapolis, a couple sold heirloom tomatoes at a local farmer’s market near my apartment. Every weekend I stood in line for my precious basket of yummy tomatoes then ran home and gobbled them up. They made me very happy–like new pair of sandals happy.
My mom always has tomatoes in her garden, so I grew up enjoying them every summer. She occasionally made tomato juice with them, but we mainly ate nice thick slices of tomatoes at every meal. This was one of my favorite ways to prepare them. It’s a simple salt mixture that brings out both the salty/sweet nature of those delectable tomatoes. A little red onion and vinegar add the perfect amount of tartness.
It’s super easy to prepare. You need to let the tomato slices drain for a few minutes on a paper towel to soak up some of their excess juiciness, but otherwise it only takes a couple of minutes to prepare. It’s possible that I sometimes sit in front of the TV with a plate of tomatoes and snack away all night on them. Some people eat ice cream. Me, I eat tomatoes.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire article or the recipe only.
Original Eat Laugh Purr recipe
- 2-3 tomatoes, cut into thick slices
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Red onion, thin slices or chopped (your preference)
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- Place tomatoes slices on a paper towel to drain for five minutes on each side.
- Combine salt, sugar and pepper in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle half the salt/sugar mixture over the tomato slices.
- Top tomatoes with onion slices or chopped onion. Pour vinegar over tomatoes.
- Sprinkle the remaining salt/sugar mixture over the tomatoes and onions.
- Serve immediately.