Ah, the warm weather is back, and you know what that means—picnics. I prefer the backyard barbecue, mostly because I like the convenience and necessities (private bathroom) of a home. Also, the one time I tried to eat breakfast at the beach, pigeons attacked me, and Emeril wasn’t there to protect me from the birdies.
Every self-respecting picnic includes potato chips—because how you can eat a burger and drink beer without chips? You can’t. So naturally you need a proper dip. Sure, you could use one of those ready-made dips (and if you do–the caramelized onion dip from Trader Joes is a-mah-zing!), but it doesn’t take long to whip up your own version at home. This dip features both leeks and onions that are caramelized in bacon fat.
Yup. I said bacon fat.
Bacon fat makes everything taste better. This is a scientific fact. 😀
It’s delicious with potato chips. Or veggies for those who want to feel less guilty eating this dip. And to die for with my roasted fingerling potatoes with onion and fennel. I bet it would also be excellent with a baked potato too. I love a versatile dip. This will be a welcome addition at any picnic. Just don’t let the pigeons take it.
Caramelized Leek and Onion Dip
- 2 leeks roughly chopped
- 1 onion roughly chopped
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels, then crumble. Set aside.
- Add leeks and onions to skillet and cook in about 1 tablespoon of bacon fat until caramelized 10-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Add garlic and cayenne pepper and cook for another minute. When caramelized to your preference, remove from heat and set aside until room temperature.
- While the onions caramelize, combine cream cheese, mayo and sour cream in a medium bowl. Stir in sugar and white wine vinegar.
- Add crumbled bacon and cooled onions to cream cheese mixture and carefully combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving.
- Serve with your favorite chips, crackers and/or vegetables.