I love sweet corn. There is something about biting into its sweet, crunchy kernels with butter dripping down my chin that makes me feel like summer is finally here. It’s probably important to note that I live in a beach community in LA. It has not been hotter than sin here. Now I’m not saying that sin hasn’t occurred, because this is LA. But mega-hot — no. Well, at least for those of us who live by the beach—like me — it’s been pretty, darn nice.
Umm…sorry, I didn’t mean to rub it in your face.
Okay, I sort of did.
In fairness, I lived for many years where six months out of the year, I froze my butt while scrapping ice off the windshield of my car. And the other six months, I paid homage to the air conditioning god.
I totally did my time, people; I earned my right to gloat.
And do you know what else I like to gloat about? This yummy corn. (and you were worried that I forgot about it) All the cool kids are grilling corn these days, but I don’t have a grill, so a girl has to make do. Plus, my method (okay, my mom’s method) of boiling sweet corn is ah-mazing.
Update: My apartment installed a couple of grills on the rooftop, so depending on my mood, I either boil or grill my corn. Directions for both are included in the recipe.
The sweet corn by itself (with either cooking method) is delicious but the flavored butter just gives it a little more oomph that I love. Give this a try if you’re looking to spice up your sweet corn or just looking for a fool-proof way to make the best darn sweet corn ever.
Sweet Corn with Chili Lime Butter
- 6-8 ears of shucked corn
- 1/2 cup butter room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder* or to taste
- 1-2 limes
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Bring a large pot of water to boiling over medium-high heat. Add milk and sugar and bring back to a boil.
- Add sweet corn and boil for 7 minutes or until tender
- Meanwhile, mix together butter, chili powder, juice from one 1 lime, salt and pepper and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Serve sweet corn topped with chili butter and extra lime wedges and parmesan cheese on the side.