Imagine the ooey gooey deliciousness of a rice krispie bar with an ooey gooey caramel layer. Yup. Pure ooey gooeyness. These bars are not for the faint-hearted.
When I was back home last month, my mom suggested I make these bars for the blog. My dad concurred because:
A) He likes desserts
B) He was getting tired of Rice Krispies cereal for breakfast
These delectable bars are incredibly addictive—crunchy, chewy, sweet and rich. The caramel layer can became a bit runny, so feel free to decrease the amount of butter. Also, I advise keeping the bars refrigerated until serving to help keep the bars intact.
And possibly, if readily accessible, they may never make it to the table. 😀
Caramel Rice Krispie Bars
- 8 cups Rice Krispies
- 2 10 1/2 oz. bags mini marshmallows
- 1 can 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 3/4 cup butter divided*
- 1 bag 14 oz. Kraft caramels
- Combine 1/4 cup butter with condensed milk and caramels over medium-low heat. Stir frequently until melted. Set aside.
- Prep two 9 x 13 pans. One pan coat lightly with non-stick spray and set aside. The second pan cover with parchment paper and set aside.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter with marshmallows in saucepan over low heat. Add Rice Krispies and stir thoroughly. Press half the mixture into each pan.
- Pour caramel mixture over rice krisipies in the pan lightly coated with non-stick spray.
- Lift the bars from the pan with the parchment paper and place on top of the caramel layer. Lightly press down.
- Refrigerate until serving, if possible.