I can’t believe Halloween is next week. Where does the time go? Apparently, I need to stop and take a few moments to enjoy the beautiful Fall weather. It’s finally cooled down enough so I can make a big pot of soup to enjoy without overheating afterwards.
With Halloween next week and the Holidays fast approaching, I figured everyone could use an easy meal for their recipe box. It only takes a few minutes to throw the ingredients into a slow cooker, go on with your busy day and come home to a delicious meal.
I’m a known carb-aholic, so it’s no surprise that I love this recipe. Basically if you love loaded mashed potatoes, you’ll love this soup. It’s a big, bowl of comfort. I can’t think of anything more perfect to enjoy after a busy day.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire post or the recipe only.
Baked Potato Soup
Adapted from Tide and Thyme
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 lbs Russet potatoes (about 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- green onions, sliced
- Cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Drain on paper towels then refrigerate until serving.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons of bacon fat. Add onion and cook over medium-high heat until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and thyme and cook for an additional minute.
- Add the flour, whisking constantly for one minute. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of chicken broth, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook until the mixture starts to thicken, then transfer to slow cooker.
- Add remaining 3 cups of broth, potatoes, 3/4 teaspoon of salt, and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper into slow cooker. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, 6-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Remove 3 cups of cooked potatoes to a medium bowl, add cream and mash until smooth.
- Return potatoes to the slow cooker and stir in cheddar cheese and sour cream. Let the soup cook for another 10 minutes.
- When ready to serve, microwave bacon until hot and crispy, about 30 seconds.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, if needed. Ladle into bowls and top with bacon, shredded cheese, and green onions.