Is this beverage is hot? Yup. Rich? You bet. Decadent? Uh-huh. Chocolately? Of course. So in other words, it is the perfect beverage to serve at your holiday festivities. But it’s definitely not for the faint-hearted.
I think everyone loves hot chocolate. It so warm and comforting; it just make you feel good. And this hot chocolate—wowser! It is so rich, velvety and amazing. It’s really sweet, so be prepared for your eyes to pop open and a big grin to take over your face as your energy level goes through the roof.
Sure, you’ll eventually crash, but thankfully, it’s the holidays. Find another Christmas cookie to nibble and take another sip of this hot chocolate and you’ll be moving faster than Mighty Max after I pour kibble in his dish.
Rich, Decadent Hot Chocolate
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup to 1 cup milk
- 4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 scant teaspoon instant coffee powder or espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Marshmallows and/or peppermint pieces to serve optional
- Whisk evaporated milk, regular milk, chocolate, sugar, salt and coffee powder in a saucepan over medium heat until the chocolate is melted.
- Whisk in the vanilla. Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and let the hot cocoa rest (still covered) for 5 minutes, so it can thicken a bit.
- Top with marshmallows and peppermint pieces. Serve immediately.