I debated for a while whether or not I wanted to do this post. Traditionally I love “best of” year-end lists and look forward to recapping the previous year on Eat Laugh Purr. This year was different. Instead of excitement, I only felt dread and heartache. You probably know why.
I can’t recap 2012 without talking about the loss of my beloved Emeril. Some of you may wonder when I’m going to stop boo-hooing over Emeril. He’s just a cat, after all. Yes, to some, he was only a handsome cat. To me, he was my world. My everything. He left a gaping hole in my heart that can never be filled. I really don’t want it to be either.
I’ve been beating myself up for a long time over the things I wished I would’ve done (switched vets sooner) while reminding myself that Emeril never did anything he didn’t want to do. I do believe that I could have had more time with Emeril, but I also know kidney disease would have claimed him in a matter of days, weeks or best case scenario—a couple of months. He was suffering and it was right of him to go. Unfortunately, my suffering still lingers.
The brightest spot (and biggest ease to my pain) is Mighty Max. I also knew that I would adopt another kitty, even though it was much harder than I expected. I like to believe Emeril sent Max to me because it makes me feel good to think Max has his blessing. Max is probably the happiest cat I ever met. He just radiates joy.
When I went home for Christmas, Max was kenneled at the vet. They noted he was happy, bright and alert. I couldn’t think of three words that describe him better. Emeril was a bit of a diva (bless him) while Max just bounces around happy as can be. He loves to play and snuggle. I adore him and feel blessed to be his Mama.
We had another great year at Eat Laugh Purr. Some statistics for you:
- 50% increase in visitors! Woo-hoo! I’m still a very small blog, but I love seeing our numbers increase and visitors returning again and again. THANK YOU!!
- Apple Crisp with Salted Caramel Sauce was the most popular post overall. Special shout-out to The Stir for featuring the recipe!
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Filling and Oreo Cupcakes were the next most popular posts. My visitors apparently have a sweet tooth!
- The most popular non-food post was RIP: My Beloved Emeril. He would be so pleased.
- My most commented post was RIP: My Beloved Emeril. He always believed he had so many fans. It’s so nice to see that he did.
- The best thing I made last year was Peaches and Cream bars. OMG. I can’t wait until peaches are back in season to make this again.
When Emeril passed away, I briefly contemplated shutting down Eat Laugh Purr until a friend reminded me that the blog was such a tribute to Emeril. It is and I am so glad that we started the blog together. 2012 was a tough year for me, but I am looking forward to seeing what 2013 has planned for Eat Laugh Purr.
Max tells me I need to start 2013 out right by being happy. So happy I am. Truly, truly happy and grateful for my many blessings.