I’m going to use Valentine’s Day as my excuse for making this yummy dessert. And for possibly licking the bowl clean. Literally. No, I wasn’t raised by neanderthals either; my parents raised me right. This dish is just too yummy to worry about what’s proper.
I fell in love with fondue the moment I swirled a lush strawberry in a piping hot bowl of chocolately goodness at Melting Pot. Love at first bite. The first time I made chocolate fondue was actually for my brother when he was visiting me.
He and I chowed down and dunked strawberries, bananas, doughnuts and pound cake in a bowl of decadent chocolate. I think the decadence gave my brother indigestion.
To be fair, I served a rich dinner followed by chocolate fondue then converted the leftover fondue into hot chocolate mixed with a little Baileys. Possibly lots of Baileys.
Best. Sister. Ever. 😀
I highly recommend this dessert to cap off your Valentine’s Day celebration or any time you need a chocolate fix. Or want to torment your big brother with indigestion. (Really, it’s not the dessert’s fault. He’s a wimp!) This fondue is easy and lick-the-bowl-clean good.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee
- 2 Tablespoons hot water
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon or to taste Baileys Irish Cream or Kahula optional
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat, add heavy cream, vanilla and butter, stir frequently.
- Mix together hot water and instant coffee in a small bowl.
- After 5-7 minutes, as the cream mixture begins to simmer, turn heat down to low then add coffee and chocolate chips, whisking until smooth.
- Serve immediately with fresh strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, brownies, pound cake, biscotti, etc.