Mother’s Day is fast approaching and I always like to feature a special recipe for Mom. Ironically, my Mom is not a huge french toast fan, but I actually think she’d enjoy this version. 🙂
French toast is one of my favorite breakfasts, but I rarely enjoyed it growing up because … well the Chief Cook didn’t like it very much. After I moved out, I used to go out for breakfast every Sunday and I bet you can guess what I frequently ordered!
Yup. French toast.
And omelets. I just love eggs. 🙂
And hash browns. And sourdough toast. But don’t worry I didn’t eat ALL of that at the same time!
Breakfast is my favorite meal to eat out because I pretty much love everything about it. I’m eating in more these days, but I always try to make breakfast a little extra special on the weekend whenever possible.
This french toast is decadent, but not too super sweet. Best of all you can make this the night before, making it even easier to treat Mom to a yummy breakfast on her special day.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire post or the recipe only.
Baked French Toast with Orange Marmalade Cream Cheese
An Original Eat Laugh Purr Recipe
- 5-6 cups of french bread, cubed
- 6 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup Orange Marmalade
- 6 eggs, well beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1 Tablespoon, fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Zest of one orange
- In a greased 9-inch square pan, place half the bread cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, orange marmalade, 1 Tablespoon sugar and a pinch of salt together.
- Carefully spread the cream cheese mixture over bread cubes. Cover with remaining bread cubes
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, cinnamon, orange juice, orange zest, 1/2 Tablespoon sugar, vanilla and a pinch of nutmeg and salt in a bowl.
- Pour the mixture over bread cubes, lightly pressing down to ensure they are covered in the milk mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- The next morning, preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 45-50 minutes until the top is nice and golden. Be sure to remove the plastic wrap before baking.
- Serve immediately with maple syrup and a dollop of whipped cream.