Sorry I didn’t have a post earlier this week, but my hosting service was experiencing all kinds of problems. 🙁 But to make it up to you, I got a doozy of a recipe today. 🙂 A super moist and rich chocolate cake that you can whip up in ONE bowl.
By nature I tend to crave savory over sweet, and baking always seems to dirty every dish in my home, which I really dislike too. So when I find something that is easy, delicious and doesn’t require hours of cleaning up … well, count me in!
I enjoyed every morsel of this cake, licking my fingers clean and smacking my lips for good measure. In all honesty, I’m worried that my sweet tooth is becoming more dominant. In the past, I could go for days (even weeks or months) without candy or dessert.
Now … I can’t and not because I’m such a dutiful blogger, only here to serve my readers, but in reality, it’s about my belly shouting feed me sweets now! As an indulgent cat mom, it can’t really shock you that I’d indulge my belly too.
This cake makes it very difficult to behave, especially when it beckons me to take just one more bite. Then another. And another. And soon Tanya has a belly ache.
But boy, was this cake worth it.
TO PRINT RECIPE: Click on the print icon located with the other social media icons under my signature. It is the last icon. You can print the entire post or the recipe only.
Chocolate Cake with Ganache
Recipe from Averie Cooks
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces greek yogurt (plain, vanilla, or chocolate, not low-fat or non-fat)
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9×9 inch square baking dish with PAM and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg, sugar, yogurt, oil and vanilla until smooth.
- Add coffee and cocoa powder, stirring until batter is lump-free.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt then whisk together until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Pour batter into your prepared dish and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
- Unfrosted cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days, or store frosted cake in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place chocolate and cream in a microwave-safe bowl and heat on high power for 1 minute. Whisk until chocolate has melted and mixture is smooth and velvety. Stir in vanilla.
- Set aside for about 10 minutes before spreading over the cake.
- Allow frosting to set up for 30 minutes before serving.