When I lived in Minnesota, there were some tasty and fairly authentic Mexican restaurants that I enjoyed regularly. I wasn’t overly adventuresome though and typically ordered chicken fajitas. Hearing the sizzle of a platter of chicken fajitas headed my way still makes me smile. But one thing that never tempted me was the fish tacos. It just seemed strange.
Now living in LA, fish tacos don’t seem strange at all. In fact, they are darn tasty! I’m trying to eat more fish and tacos seemed like a great place to start. Plus, the market had tilapia on sale, so apparently fate was onboard with a Taco Tuesday Fish Night. (I know today isn’t Tuesday, but it was Taco Tuesday when I made these!)
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with fish. Sometimes I really like it and other times — it’s yucky. I don’t like an overly fishy taste, which is kind of awkward since … you know … fish should sort of taste fishy. 🙂 Tilapia tends to be quite mild, so it’s one of my favorites.
For these tacos, the tilapia is lightly dusted with spices and quickly sautéed. The best part … and this is the understatement of the year … is the mango salsa. I could have demolished a bowl of salsa by myself and been a happy camper. And I won’t deny that I may have conducted multiple taste tests to ensure it was blog-worthy. It is. 🙂
This makes a fast weeknight meal. It’s yummy and healthy too. Unless you gorge yourself on chips and mango salsa. I’m not saying that I did, but I’m not saying that I didn’t. 😉
Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa
- 1/2 Teaspoon Paprika
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Onion powder
- 3/4 Teaspoon Cumin
- 1/4 Teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1-2 Tablespoons Vegetable oil
- 3-4 Tilapia Filets
- 4 Corn tortillas
Mango Avocado Salsa
- 1 Mango cubed
- 1 Avocado cubed
- 1/4 cup or one small red onion chopped
- 1 Jalapeño ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Cilantro chopped
- 2 teaspoons Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 Lime
- Salt to taste
- For the Fish Tacos: In a small bowl, combine all the spices together. Lightly dust both sides of the tilapia with spice mix. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil. Add tilapia fillets and cook each side for 5 minutes or until translucent. (Time may very depending on the thickness of your fillets.)
- For the Mango Salsa: In a medium bowl, add the mango salsa ingredients and stir. Taste and taste again. Set aside.
- To Serve: Warm the tortillas, add tilapia fillet and top with lots and lots of mango salsa.