I love fruit with its bold colors and sweet taste. And in California, you can get excellent fruit year-round, but the summer fruit is exceptional. It’s so juicy and flavorful and most importantly — good for you. I know some limit the amount of fruit they eat but not me. The benefits outweigh the negative in my opinion. I always crave fresh fruit in the summer, so I’ve been scouting my grocery stores and the farmer’s market for the best.
Even more than normal, my body is really craving fruit this week, which is to to be expected after the gluttony of my family vacation. I need a mega dose of fruits and veggies and this is an easy way to get some much needed nutrients in my body.
This melon salad is also a perfect showcase for summer fruit with plenty of watermelon, cantaloupe, berries and pineapple. It’s coated in a sweet yet slightly tart honey lime dressing that adds just the right amount of oomph to make it something really special. It is also an ideal salad to bring to an outdoor gathering as it makes quite a bit and has no dairy products in it.
While it is a great salad for summer picnics, it doesn’t have a long shelf-life, which is the one negative. To help extend the life of my salad, I make individual portions for meals and keep the different fruits and dressing in separate containers. This helps a bit but the fruit will still only last a few days in your fridge. While it does, it will also make a very satisfying side dish, snack or even dessert for those who are trying to eat a bit healthier, like me. 🙂
Mixed Melon Fruit Salad with Honey Dressing
- 1 mini seedless watermelon cut into bite-size cubes
- 1 cantaloupe cut into bite-size cubes
- 16 oz strawberries hulled and halved OR 2 (5 oz) containers of blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 1 pineapple cored and cut into bite-size cubes
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- Drain fruit of any excess juice and add to a large serving dish.
- In a small bowl, combine honey, lime juice and mint and whisk together.
- Pour dressing over fruit and gently stir to evenly coat fruit.
- Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers.