When I went back home to visit my family, my mom’s garden was producing large quantities of zucchini, and I happily took a couple home with me. I’m sure my Mom (and especially my Dad) would have loved giving me more, but I only had so much room in my bag. Because I’m trying to eat healthier, I searched for some good-for-you recipes for my prized zucchinis and settled on these delicious zucchini cheesy tots.
Okay, full and fair disclosure, I first made zucchini bread, even though it was a bit naughty and I am really trying to eat better. But I also believe that means having a healthy relationship with food and being able to indulge occasionally, without it turning into a binge fest. Fortunately, there was NO binge fest because I did not like the zucchini bread. It was terribly sweet, so it become a chore to eat.
This may have actually been a good thing because I haven’t craved anything sweet lately. In fact, it sort of makes my tummy hurt, just thinking about sweets.
However, I promised a good zucchini recipe for today and was going to deliver one. So I searched high and low for a recipe worthy of you (and me) and found these lovely zucchini cheesy tots. They are a kissing cousin to zucchini pancakes but without flour and more crispy. They are also utterly delicious.
Because they are baked versus fried, they also are quite good-for-you too. These light and crispy tots make a tasty, summer side dish to almost any protein. Win-win! Plus, they are a great way to use some of your zucchini bounty in a new dish that your family will love and you’ll feel good serving them.
Zucchini Cheesy Tots
- 1 1/2 cups packed shredded zucchini
- 1/4 cup onion finely minced
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly coat a piece of parchment paper with non-stick spray and place on a baking sheet.
- Remove excess water in shredded zucchini by wrapping it in a clean kitchen towel. Wring or squeeze until zucchini is really dry.
- In a medium bowl, add zucchini, egg, onion, cheddar cheese, panko bread crumbs and spices together.
- Scoop tablespoons of zucchini mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Press mounds together to form a football-like shape and lightly flattened.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes until the edges are golden.
- Serve immediately with ranch dressing, if desired.
A Few More Zucchini Recipes
I know how zucchini grows and grows and grows. Here are a few more yummy recipes to help you use up all your zucchini!
Apple Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins
This muffins are delicious AND good for you! Get the recipe.
Zucchini Cheesecake Muffins
Another favorite muffin, although a bit more decadent but so tasty! Get the recipe.
Chocolate Espresso Zucchini Brownies
Ummmm … this are delicious and addictive. I’m sure the zucchini makes them healthy. Or not. Get the recipe.
My Mom made this every summer and I loved it! Get the recipe.
Zucchini Bake with Feta Cheese
The saltiness of feta cheese pairs beautifully with zucchini in this easy side dish. Get the recipe.